cassiedoddDESMA9 Event 2 Post
My weekly screen time is atrocious. I am fully aware that I spend too many hours consumed by a tiny device that can fit perfectly in my hands, not to mention the time spent in front of my computer or TV. So for this week’s event blog, I thought I’d challenge myself and attempt the unplug challenge. Unfortunately, attempt is the right word, not complete.
I started this challenge on Saturday morning as I had no commitments that day and felt as though I would be able to complete the challenge.
For the first few hours, it was peaceful. I went for a walk to a coffee shop, read a bit of a book I’d been putting off (Throne of Glass Series - if you know, you know), and even did some journaling. But by the afternoon, something started to creep in, a sort of restlessness that I hadn’t expected. It wasn’t just boredom. It was homesickness.
As an international student, being away from home is something I’ve gotten used to on the surface. But the reality is, my phone is my connection to my family and friends back in Australia. It is the lifeline that helps me feel just a little less far away. Not being able to text my family or check in on my friends made me feel weirdly isolated, even though I’m surrounded by people here.
So, yes, I caved. I checked my phone. I FaceTimed home. And honestly, I don’t regret it. I lasted 16 hours, so I’d say a reasonable effort on my end.
This challenge made me think about how international students managed in the days before Wi-Fi, FaceTime, or even email. I genuinely don’t know how they did it. Waiting weeks for a letter or spending tons of money on international calls? It puts into perspective just how lucky we are to have this technology, even if we sometimes overuse it.
So no, I didn’t complete the unplug challenge. But I did learn that connection, the real kind, even if it’s through a screen, matters more to me than I realized. And maybe, just maybe, that’s okay.
Photo Bibliography:
“Direct (Non-Stop) Flights from Los Angeles to Sydney - Schedules - FlightsFrom.com.” Flightsfrom.com, 2017, www.flightsfrom.com/LAX-SYD.
“Los Angeles Time to Perth Time Conversion.” 24timezones.com, 2025, 24timezones.com/difference/los_angeles/perth. Accessed 16 May 2025.

Comments
Post a Comment