cassiedoddDESMA9

 The series of novels Strangers and Brothers by C.P. Snow investigates the concept of the 'two cultures,' which originally addresses the divide between the rich and the poor. However, it has often been misinterpreted, with the term 'two cultures' being mistakenly understood as referring to the divide between the humanities and science, a distinction that can still be found in everyday life. 

I’m a political science major, which kind of feels like I’m living in both the humanities and the sciences at the same time, so I bounce between North and South Campus. And let me tell you, even though I’ve had classes on both sides, it’s pretty obvious that each one has its own vibe. North Campus is all about greenery—lots of gardens, and the sculpture garden is the perfect spot to chill, people-watch, or just listen to music while relaxing on a bench. Meanwhile, South Campus is more industrial, with a bit of an 'inner LA' feel—lots of concrete and grey, kind of like you're stepping into a dystopian world. It’s like the campuses each have their own personalities!


Professor Vesna brings up an important point about the significant impact stereotypes have in our society, often stemming from unconscious biases. It's interesting how different groups and disciplines can create their own stereotypes. I find myself in a unique position in political science, as I feel I could fit into either stereotype. On one hand, I could be the artsy liberal, passionate about rights and social issues, or on the other hand, I could be the serious researcher focused on finding the best strategies to increase voter participation and engage the public. 

The divide between the humanities and sciences has deep historical roots. Universities like Harvard, Princeton, and Columbia originally grew out of religious institutions, where scientific ideas often conflicted with religious beliefs. Over time, education became more influenced by money and power, with buildings named after wealthy donors, and the structure of universities began to resemble a corporate model. This shift changed the way we approach education, focusing more on efficiency and productivity.

However, this shift also led to a broader change in how we view knowledge. Ideas that were once considered too radical are now more accepted, encouraging new ways of thinking and collaboration across different fields.


Photo Citations 

“UCLA Political Science.” UCLA Political Science, 17 Dec. 2024, polisci.ucla.edu/.

‌“Franklin D. Murphy Sculpture Garden | TCLF.” Tclf.org, 8 Nov. 2014, www.tclf.org/landscapes/franklin-d-murphy-sculpture-garden. Accessed 3 Apr. 2025.

“The Lovely South Campus.” UCLA Bruin Blog, 16 Feb. 2012, blog.admissions.ucla.edu/2012/02/16/the-lovely-south-campus/. Accessed 3 Apr. 2025.

Website Citations

Furedi, Frank. From Two Cultures to No Culture : C.P. Snow’s “Two Cultures” Lecture Fifty Years On. London, Civitas, 2009.

‌“Two Cultures? Bringing Together the Sciences and the Humanities - National English Honor Society.” National English Honor Society, 30 July 2024, nehs.us/nehsmuseletter/two-cultures-bringing-together-the-sciences-and-the-humanities/. Accessed 3 Apr. 2025.

Graham-Rowe, Duncan. “John Brockman: Matchmaking with Science and Art.” WIRED, 3 Feb. 2011, www.wired.com/story/matchmaking-with-science-and-art/. Accessed 3 Apr. 2025.

Kelly, Kevin M. The Third Culture. Vol. 279, no. 5353, 13 Feb. 1998, pp. 992–993, https://doi.org/10.1126/science.279.5353.992.

Saunders, Manu. “Humanities vs Science: Is Writing a Dying Art?” Ecology Is Not a Dirty Word, 11 Mar. 2015, ecologyisnotadirtyword.com/2015/03/11/humanities-vs-science-writing/.

Vesna, Victoria. “Toward a Third Culture: Being in Between.” Leonardo, vol. 34, no. 2, 2001, pp. 121–25. JSTOR, http://www.jstor.org/stable/1577014. Accessed 3 Apr. 2025.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

cassiedoddDESMA9 Week 2 - Math + Art

cassiedoddDESMA9 Week 3 Robotics + Art